• Cast iron gas pipe is susceptible to corrosion and breakage. There is no cast iron pipe in our system.
• Steel pipe could last indefinitely if it is protected from corrosion (rusting). Most of the steel pipe in our system has a protective coating and is further protected by a low-voltage electrical current that reduces the chance of corrosion.
• A small quantity of our steel pipe is not adequately coated; so, although it is electrically protected, it is scheduled for replacement on an annual basis.
• The oldest steel pipe in our system was installed in 1954.
• Much of the pipe in our system is polyethylene, which is not susceptible to corrosion.
• The underground pipeline system in the United States is the safest, most efficient energy transportation system among our nation’s utility assets.
• We routinely monitor our system in an effort to ensure public safety.
The Fort Valley Utility Commission has operated its natural gas distribution system since 1954. We proudly serve approximately 2,930 customers with safe, clean, inexpensive, made in the U.S.A. natural gas.